Crowns & Bridges in Lakeland, FL
Dental enamel is the hardest substance in the human body, but unfortunately, it is not indestructible. Years of normal wear and tear helped along by habits like teeth grinding can leave you with dental damage or tooth loss that you need to address
At Quality Dental Care, we are pleased to offer high-quality restorations like crowns and bridges that restore the health and function of your teeth and leave you with a more attractive, vibrant smile. When you visit our Lakeland, FL dental office, you also have the benefit of receiving treatment from our prosthodontist, Dr. Mohammad Zaman. A prosthodontist specializes in the restoration and replacement of teeth.
- When Do You Recommend Dental Crowns in Lakeland, FL?
- What Crown Materials Can I Choose From at Quality Dental Care of Lakeland?
- When Do You Recommend a Dental Bridge in Lakeland, FL?
- What Types of Dental Bridges are Available?
- What’s the Difference between a Crown and a Bridge?
- How Long Does a Crown or a Bridge Last?
- Please Call Quality Dental Care of Lakeland to Get Started
When Do You Recommend Dental Crowns in Lakeland, FL?
A dental crown is a dental prosthetic that fits over a damaged tooth like a cap to surround and protect it and absorb chewing forces.
We would recommend dental crowns in Lakeland if:
- You chipped, broke, or fractured a tooth, and it needs the added strength of a crown
- You had a root canal, and we need to add a crown to strengthen and protect it
- Your tooth needs to be restored, but it already has a large filling
- You had an implant placed, and a crown is needed to restore function and appearance
- You have an aesthetic problem like a misshapen tooth that needs to be concealed
Placing a crown takes place over two to three visits to Quality Dental Care of Lakeland. We prepare the tooth and take impressions that we use to make your temporary crown and a model of your teeth that’s sent to our custom lab. It usually takes about two weeks for your dental crown to be made, and when it’s ready, you will return to our dental office to have your crown adjusted for fit and cemented in place.
What Crown Materials Can I Choose From at Quality Dental Care of Lakeland?
We offer dental crowns in Lakeland in a wide range of materials so that we can customize them for your unique needs. Either Dr. Vernon Smith or our prosthodontist Dr. Zaman will help you decide which type of material is right for you based on your preference, the location of the tooth to be restored, and oral habits, like teeth grinding.
- Porcelain – An excellent choice for teeth that show when you smile, these crowns resemble dental enamel and can be color-matched to surrounding teeth for a natural, seamless appearance.
- Zirconia – An exceptionally strong and durable material that we commonly use on teeth that absorb a lot of chewing force, such as molars
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal – As the name suggests, PFM crowns consist of a base layer of metal and a porcelain layer. They’re highly durable but do show a line of dark metal at the gum line, so we often use them on teeth that don’t show when you smile.
When Do You Recommend a Dental Bridge in Lakeland, FL?
A bridge can be used to support your facial structure and oral health when you are missing one or more teeth.
We would recommend a dental bridge at Quality Dental Care if you:
- Have a tooth or teeth missing and need the support of a dental bridge
- Need your complete smile restored due to one or more missing teeth
- You would prefer a bridge over other tooth replacement options, like dental implants.
Basically, a bridge helps stabilize your remaining teeth, providing you with dental support where you are missing teeth, so we will recommend a bridge in a situation where you need dental support and stability to promote your oral health.
What Types of Dental Bridges are Available?
Like dental crowns, dental bridges are available in varying types and materials. There are three popular types of dental bridges.
- Traditional Fixed Bridges – Traditional bridges are often designed using porcelain or ceramic. This type of bridge is supported by healthy teeth on either side of the gap that the dental bridge is filling.
- Cantilever Bridges – A cantilever bridge can be supported only on one side of the gap where you are missing teeth. This makes it a good choice if you don’t have healthy teeth on either side of the gap for support.
- Bonded Bridges – A bonded bridge is often used to replace front teeth. This type of bridge is made using a metal framework, and it includes two wings on either side that affix to the teeth beside the gap.
If you need a dental bridge, we will discuss which type of bridge is best for you at your dental appointment and offer advice on your best option.
What’s the Difference between a Dental Crown in Lakeland and a Dental Bridge?
While a crown strengthens and protects an existing tooth, we use a bridge to replace a missing tooth. We typically design bridges as a three-piece unit that includes an artificial tooth that sits in the open space and is suspended on either side by crowns attached to adjacent teeth for support.
A bridge solves the aesthetic problem of a missing tooth and also restores your ability to eat comfortably and speak clearly. If you would like a more permanent solution, we will be happy to talk to you about adding a dental implant in Lakeland to stabilize the artificial tooth.
How Long Does a Dental Crown or a Dental Bridge Last?
If you take care of your crown and your oral health, a crown can last for decades. To care for your crown appropriately, you will need to pay attention to your oral hygiene, remembering to brush and floss regularly. Regular flossing and brushing will help to keep the tooth underneath the crown clean and healthy. You will also need to continue seeing your dentist for dental cleanings and exams regularly.
If you tend to grind your teeth or clench your jaw when you sleep, talk to us at Quality Dental Care about getting a nightguard to help protect your crown from damage. Also, avoid eating or chewing on hard foods or objects after getting your crown. If you chew on ice, a pencil, or candies, for example, you could crack or otherwise damage the crown, shortening its lifespan.
As far as a bridge, you will also have to maintain your oral health to keep it in good shape. Brush, floss, and continue to visit our office regularly for cleanings and exams to get the most of your bridge. We also recommend using a floss threader when flossing around your bridge to reach any food debris you may have missed with regular flossing.
When using a bridge, you will also want to pay attention to your diet, avoiding sugary, sticky, or hard foods. We also recommend avoiding smoking and tobacco products. With proper care and attention, your bridge can last 10 years or more.
Please Call Quality Dental Care of Lakeland to Get Started
The team at Quality Dental Care of Lakeland would be happy to explain all the options we offer for restoring your smile and help you choose the one that best fits your needs. We are proud to consider ourselves among the best dentists in Lakeland, FL, if you are seeking help in restoring your teeth with crowns and bridges.
As a 33809 dentist office, we are located conveniently in Lakeland to help Lakeland and surrounding residents get the healthiest, brightest smiles possible.
Please call us at (863) 858-3891 to arrange a consultation with our dentists in Lakeland, FL.