Crowns & Bridges
Dental enamel is the hardest substance in the human body, but unfortunately, it is not indestructible. Years of normal wear and tear helped along by habits like teeth grinding can leave you with dental damage or tooth loss that you need to address.
At Quality Dental Care, we are pleased to offer high-quality restorations like crowns and bridges that restore the health and function of your teeth and leave you with a more attractive, vibrant smile. When you visit our Lakeland, FL dental office, you also have the benefit of receiving treatment from our prosthodontist, Dr. Zaman. A prosthodontist specializes in the restoration and replacement of teeth.
When Do You Recommend Dental Crowns?
A crown is a dental prosthetic that fits over a damaged tooth like a cap to surround and protect it and absorb chewing forces.
We would recommend dental crowns in Lakeland if:
- You chipped, broke, or fractured a tooth, and it needs the added strength of a crown
- You had a root canal, and we need to add a crown to strengthen and protect it
- Your tooth needs to be restored, but it already has a large filling
- You had an implant placed, and a crown is needed to restore function and appearance
- You have an aesthetic problem like a misshapen tooth that needs to be concealed
The process for placing a crown takes place over two to three visits to Quality Dental Care. We prepare the tooth and take impressions that we use to make your temporary crown and a model of your teeth that’s sent to our custom lab. It usually takes about two weeks for your crown to be made, and when it’s ready, you will return to our office to have your crown adjusted for fit and cemented in place.
What Crown Materials Can I Choose From?
We offer dental crowns in a wide range of materials so we can customize them for your unique needs. Either Dr. Smith or our prosthodontist Dr. Zaman will help you decide which type of material is right for you based on your preference, the location of the tooth to be restored, and oral habits like teeth grinding.
- Porcelain – An excellent choice for teeth that show when you smile, these crowns resemble dental enamel and can be color-matched to surrounding teeth for a natural, seamless appearance.
- Zirconia – An exceptionally strong and durable material that we commonly use on teeth that absorb a lot of chewing force such as molars
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal – As the name suggestions, PFM crowns consist of a base layer of metal and a layer of porcelain. They’re highly durable but do show a line of dark metal at the gum line, so we often use them on teeth that don’t show when you smile.
What’s the Difference between a Crown and a Bridge?
While a crown strengthens and protects an existing tooth, we use a bridge to replace a missing tooth. We typically design bridges as a three-piece unit that includes an artificial tooth that sits in the open space and is suspended on either side by crowns attached to adjacent teeth for support.
A bridge solves the aesthetic problem of a missing tooth and also restores your ability to eat comfortably and speak clearly. If you would like a more permanent solution, we will be happy to talk to you about adding a dental implant to stabilize the artificial tooth.
Please Call Us to Get Started
The team at Quality Dental Care in Lakeland, FL would be happy to explain all the options we offer for restoring your smile and help you choose the one that best fits your needs. Please call us at (863) 858-3891 to arrange a consultation with Dr. Smith or Dr. Zaman.